Tuesday 26 April 2016

A day in food

I have a few staple healthy meals so I thought I would share another trio of recipes.

These three dishes encompass a day of food in our household. Monday tends to be egg night so I have a few eggy recipes in my arsenal as they are quick, healthy and yummy. This particular one can also be served at breakfast or lunch and as it is such a popular choice between myself and Matt, it made the cut for this post.

There isn't a carbohydrate in the image but this dish needs one to compliment it really, a nice slice of wholegrain toast sat under this is perfect. We had a crumpet with it recently as that is what we had left over. But that's just another example of how flexible healthy eating can be.

The Stages of the Egg

These eggs are cooked in a yummy tomato base made up of with whatever you like really. Usually, I start with garlic and onions and throw in whatever veg we have, spinach and mushrooms is great and then tip in chopped tomatoes. I added a chopped up rasher of bacon too recently which was left over. As mentioned, this is such a flexible and versatile dish, you can make it your own!

Make some wells in the sauce and crack in some eggs, give them five minutes to cook through and bob's your uncle. I have to say, it may be yummy but certainly it isn't the prettiest dish to photograph.

I love salads. I hate when people perceive salads as the bog standard lettuce, tomato and cucumber -boring! I experiment with different ingredients and new recipes all the time. It isn't hard and doesn't take up any more time then any other lunch prep would. Often you can make enough to last a few days too.

This (almost) raw Pad Thai salad is one of my latest creations. I draw inspiration from various cook books such as Get the Glow (the most recent edition to my collection) and Jamie's Superfood (my current favourite) and make my own versions of salads based on something I see in other places.


Almost Raw Pad Thai

The Pad Thai combines wholewheat rice noodles with finely sliced veggies. Just choose your favourite it's easy! Then simply make a dressing, this had lots of lime juice, tahini and soy sauce. Ooze it over the salad and let the flavours come together. Yum.



All  ingredients and the final result of the overnight oats (including in a to go tub)


Overnight oats are one of our favourite breakfasts, perfect for those with a busy lifestyle who need a grab and go breaky. The best part is, it takes a matter of minutes to prepare the night before, and if you want you can prepare two days worth.

All you need is a banana, mash it up, mix it with oats and milk and let it soak over night. I often include other soft fruits, mainly berries when mashing up the banana. It is so tasty and if you have a sweet tooth (like me) add some extra honey into it too.

Then, when you wake up, grab it out of the fridge and eat it. Hey Presto!

I will put the full recipes up on my page here in the next couple of days.

Happy eating! <3




No comments:

Post a Comment